Monday, November 9, 2009

Week of November 9

The readings this week really made me think about learning in my classroom. I really like the idea of authentic activities and I try to utilize those activities as much as possible in my classroom. In the past my students have published picture books for elementary students at different schools, written letters to parents and administrators and created poetry books to help other classes understand the elements of poetry. I think that students learn so much more when they are actually "doing" the subject matter. I do think that sometimes it is scary for a teacher to plan such activities. Last year my students made picture books for students in an elementary school. I was really stressed with the results of the product. It's one thing for my students to fail in the context of my classroom, but when a student fails to produce a great picture book, or a picture book at all, the elementary students suffer. Cognitive apprenticeships are great for students, but sometimes I think they can also be more stressful for teachers.

In order to effectuate learning, teachers need to step out of the classroom, take chances, and realize that learning is messy. Cognitive apprenticeships may be complicated and challenging, but the student learning is powerful and lasting.

3 comments:

  1. First of all, your slides of your son are so cute! What a fun little boy!

    Now down to business,I agree that sometimes it is scary to plan and/or stressful to plan these types of activities with our students, but we need to remember that the end results (at least the majority of them) make it worth the extra trauma. These are the activities that will help the students remember the concepts and use them in their lives. Remember that real learning is doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with both you and Mary. I have never been in a classroom so I cannot imagine the stress of teaching let alone planning activities outside the tradition direct instruction method. I remember better from doing not listening and taking notes. Not all of us are that way though. Teaching would be much easier if we all learned the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quote, "learning is messy." In these situations, where teachers are being more free in their teaching and using real-world activities, like making books or being biologists, the rules blur and it's sometimes hard to assess whether learning is happening or not.

    It's challenging to compare and assess our students when they're experimenting with new activities. What sorts of factors do we take into account? Performance? Lasting understanding?

    Good post! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete