Monday, November 23, 2009

Week of November 23

Learning, learning, learning. . . . . I can really see the value of social constructivism and the theory we studied this week. Last year I was doing observations in various media centers and I saw such a great example of this theory in action. I was at Washington High which is the alternative school in Ogden. Students who attend this school have been through disciplinary action at other schools, have family circumstances that haven't allowed them to attend traditional schools, or have drug abuse issues. With students who have such diverse backgrounds and needs, it would be so easy for the teachers in this school to throw busy work at these students. The teachers don't do this though. Students have projects that they work on as a group. When I visited in November, students were just finishing a Veterans Day project. Students went to a nursing home and presented a Veterans Day program. Students in English classes wrote and researched topics to write speeches. Students in social studies classes wrote newspaper articles about various time periods in war. FACS classes sewed individual pillows to give to Veterans at the program. Students were incredibly motivated to take on these huge tasks. The tasks were above their ability and comfort level, but with the help and support of the teachers and classmates, they were able to make great things happen.

Learning is effectuated by teacher vision. Teachers must have the foresight to understand that no two classes will be the same. Students need different levels of support and challenge. When teachers have appropriate vision, students can achieve well beyond original expectations.

4 comments:

  1. I think your outlook on teaching is really great. I liked your quote about "no two class periods being the same" because of different learning styles and methods. It made me think about my teaching practices and how somedays I need to be more flexible in my schedule and alter my teaching practices more effectively to help students learn. I need to have my class periods be different not just for the sake of them being different but to increase student understanding of various concepts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,
    I agree that meaningful projects that stretch students abilities really make a difference in student learning. I think it is important that students see that they can do hard things. I also think it is important that they know they have support and resouces that are available to them when they get stuck.I really liked your idea about being flexible and structuring your instruction to the needs of each class. One lesson plan certainly does not fit all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Amy,

    Great ideas posted here. You're absolutely right. Ultimately, learning is effectuated by a teacher's vision.

    I also believe that along with vision, teachers must know how to connect with students in order to push them further. Like we read this week, "instruction precedes development." We ultimately want to help our students develop into strong minds, but maybe connection precedes instruction.

    We must know what our students need in order to know how to connect with them and push them further. All classes are different and all classes have different needs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seeing this theory in action (and hearing about it for me) really cements the value of the concept. This has to be so good for these students that have experienced too much failure. I agree that being flexible is a quality and practice that a teacher has to have. It takes more effort but is very worth it.
    I also think that pushing a student beyond their own capabilities gives them confidence to try the next time. They know they have surprised themselves before so it is possible to do it again.
    Good for Washington High!

    ReplyDelete