Monday, November 16, 2009

Week of November 16

I really liked Bruner's ideas and I think that they are very applicable to learning. The idea of spiral learning is very powerful. Spiral learning takes place in our classrooms, but also from year to year. I have taught so many students who have really benefitted from previous teachers and the concepts taught in those classes. It would be so great to coordinate with teachers of different grade levels to plan a scope and sequence. Our district use to devote an entire day for teachers to get together and make such plans. With budget cuts in the last few years, we don't have a day to gather and plan in subject areas across various age groups. I'm really disappointed that we don't have time to plan and coordinate curriculum; I think that students could really benefit from this planning and sequencing.

Learning can best be effectuated by spiral learning. Students learn best when they have the opportunity to build on prior knowledge and learning. Teachers can act as a catalyst of learning by coordinating with previous learning and curriculum.

3 comments:

  1. Amy:
    I was thinking about spiral learning as I read your post and Bruner going on about students learning skills that they will use as adults. I also include memories and impressions with that. As with all memories, only pieces, or moments, have stuck with me. In my own blog I talked about struggling through a concept in English; however, I don't remember what the actual concept was. My teacher set up a cognitive dilemma, not that he meant to in so many words, and I pushed my way through it. Though I don't remember what that concept was, I remember working, staying diligent, learning, and being proud when I got it. I remember school that day. I think that is significant. If we can give kids days they remember working hard and enjoying it for the process we have succeeded as teachers. Yes, I want them to remember the information and concepts as well, but positive impressions are also valuable. Those are what make people life-long learners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog partially echoes mine (or vice versa). We used to call this vertical teaming when the department of a high school got together with the corresponding department of the middle schools and the elementary schools that fed into that high school. How I wish we could do that again. We were able to accomplish so much more with the students. This concept of spiral learning can be applied all the way through, K through 12. Our students benefit and the teachers have much less frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you were able to find value in bruner for your teaching. He is one of my favorite theorists due to the diversity of his ideas. I think it is also a good idea to coordinate with teachers of other subjects. For example, student may be able to engage in debate in an english class and learn some about argumentation in that environment but then build off of that idea in social studies and science class. Coming at topics from the standpoint of different disciplines I think is of value because what you want students to learn are the major concepts and principles they need to be successful but not the disciplines like English.

    ReplyDelete