Saturday, October 31, 2009

Week of November 2

There is so much going on in my mind this week: case based learning, 25% of my students with swine flu, the end of the quarter, and thoughts of APA documentation style. When I stop to think about learning, I think about synthesis. I don't think that true learning can really take place until you stop and think about, reflect and ponder that learning. With so many new teaching ideas, responsibilities and mandates, I don't know if I have my students stop and reflect and evaluate their learning as much as I should. I think that when you reflect about learning and really think about what you have learned and how you will use it, you are more likely to value that learning and continue to build on it. My students really need time to reflect on learning because sometimes they don't see the big picture. They don't know why it's important to do independent reading, learn new vocabulary and make meaning out of text. Whole class reflection is very beneficial. I need to make more time for this in my classroom. The day before Halloween is not a great time for reflection, so I'll try it during the first part of November.

Learning can best be effectuated by setting time aside to think about and reflect on the things that we are learning and how they will be helpful in the future. This time could be 5 minutes of class time or 20 minutes of individual journaling time or anything in between.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that reflection is such an important part of learning. I really believe that without reflection, any significant or lasting learning is difficult to achieve. I think reflection is a natural result of case-based learning as students are compelled to analyze a specific problem(s) to determine possible solutions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a big perceived benefit of care-based learning is building a case repertoire with which one can solve problems in the future...do you think that reflection helps students build that case repertoire?

    ReplyDelete